DSiPaint/WiiOperaSDK Logo

Bulletin Board

Facebook brag costs family $80k
Started by Haruspex
28 Feb 2014 20:50
SUBSCRIBE
Haruspex (309)
28 Feb 2014 21:00
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/26/3961605/daughters-facebook-boast-costs.html

The Third District Court of Appeal tossed out an $80,000 discrimination settlement Wednesday between Gulliver Preparatory School and its former headmaster Patrick Snay, ruling the ex-employee and his daughter breached the terms of a confidential agreement when she took to social media to brag about it.

“Mama and Papa Snay won the case against Gulliver,” Dana Snay posted days later to her 1,200 Facebook friends. “Gulliver is now officially paying for my vacation to Europe this summer. SUCK IT.”

The post, seen by current and former Gulliver students, made its way back to the school’s attorneys, who told the Snays they’d violated the deal. Patrick Snay last year won a Circuit Court ruling to enforce the deal, but Judge Linda Ann Wells overturned that decision Wednesday.

“Snay violated the agreement by doing exactly what he had promised not to do,” Wells wrote. “His daughter then did precisely what the confidentiality agreement was designed to prevent.”

thumb

That was the selfie that cost her family 80k.

So, yea...When is this generation going to learn that people need to stop using Facebook and Twitter to validate their lives.

Selfies to validate their looks. "Check Ins" to validate how cool they are for working out/eating out/vacationing. "Humble-brags" for validation on various things in life.

There is a difference between sharing/networking, and posting every detail about your life to get validation from others that you are worth something.

If you are seeking validation from social media, you probably are pretty miserable with your life and should actively do something to fix it instead of post about it.
Your makeup is terrible, but I love you anyway.
Limxzero (5302)
28 Feb 2014 23:38
It may be that people are indeed idiots when using social media, but pretty much there's consensus on that. As is the fact that people seek approval of others in the form of likes, retweets, reblogs, etc.

There are other things here bothering me more. First being the lack of discretion. Many people have social filters for real life, then feel it is okay to toss them out the window on the internet. Social media expectedly has heightened repercussions. Before posting, how about people asking themselves, "Would posting this be detrimental to my real life?" Financial and legal matters should have no place on social media ever. Secondly, the inferred arrogance. The girl apparently feels entitled to money which has nothing to do with her. Speculatively, if her father promised her something (which I doubt has been or would be reported) which is not available at his express will, same attitude. Regardless of whether some slip of judgement breaches a legal contract or voids a large sum of money, the arrogant nature is clearly on display. Say someone won the Powerball and posted to the world about it; the same two points above still apply.
Catch my drift.
Luisjo96 (3080)
06 Mar 2014 06:00
This is just too funny.
How lovely
PopperMan99 (717)
15 Mar 2014 05:02
When signing up for social media, users have to check that little box that says they have read terms, conditions, and liabilities, which states that they are responsible for what they post, the company can take anything down at any time for any reason, and the company has nothing to do with any damages in any way.
This was the girls fault, she could have played it smart.
Am I old here yet?
Limxzero (5302)
15 Mar 2014 23:33
In what way is Facebook's user policy related to this? Were there some intervention on their part, if anything, it would be beneficial to her, her family, and the reputation of the school. Any such preventive actions are not what make the ordeal controversial at all.
Catch my drift.
jsa005 (279)
10 Jul 2014 14:02
But I wonder if the daughter is covered by the confidentiality agreement? See, if SHE signed it then yeah, but if she never saw it, then...
Without stories, we wouldn’t be human beings at all. -- Philip Pullman • 09F911029D74E35BD84156C5635688C0
RaidaR2000 (215)
09 Oct 2014 09:15
The distinguished PopperMan99 spake:
When signing up for social media, users have to check that little box that says they have read terms, conditions, and liabilities, which states that they are responsible for what they post, the company can take anything down at any time for any reason, and the company has nothing to do with any damages in any way.
This was the girls fault, she could have played it smart.
It's said that it would take years to read all the terms and conditions you come across. The ones you really need to watch out for are Google and Instagram.
RaidaR2000 is amazing and is less gay than I am. -KylennR
Luisjo96 (3080)
12 Oct 2014 07:08
This is also still very funny.
How lovely

Home Forum Home
Wii, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi are ™ Nintendo Co. Ltd. Opera is a product of Opera Software ASA. This website is ©2009-2018 Daniel Gump. All rights reserved. Members are responsible for their own content. No account information will be given to third-parties.